RECHARGE QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“One, surround yourself with people whose eyes light up when they see you coming. Two, slowly is the fastest way to get where you want to be. And three, the top of one mountain is the bottom of the next, so keep climbing.”
André De Shields capped a 50-year acting career by winning his first Tony Award on Sunday at age 73.
Welcome to The 5-Minute Recharge Newsletter that climbs through mountains of words to give you the latest information in wellness.
1. New Zealand has made wellbeing the organizing principle of its national budget. Will other countries follow the Gross Domestic Happiness lead?
2. How do you definite success? 14 rich and powerful people define success in ways other than being rich and powerful.
“I measure success by how many people love me.” ~ Warren Buffett
3. How can you tell if you’re running at full speed along the road to burnout?
“Burnout has three elements: feelings of exhaustion, mental detachment from one’s job and poorer performance at work…” ~ Zaria Gorvett, BBC Capital
- how to build your attention muscle
- how doing nothing for 8 months can be productive
- how being generous with your time can make you feel like you have more time
- the difference between commuting and cruising
- why you should be a ‘connoisseur of the awful’
6. In this fantastic mentalist’s guide to being happy, (be sure to watch the BBC Reel Derren Brown video!) you’ll do a thought experiment that will tell you if you really truly want that palatial home, and you’ll learn the secret to truly feeling fine.
7. Laura Vanderkam implores us stop using the word “busy“.
8. In his endearingly profane way, expert f-bomber Mark Manson encourages us to find our purpose.
9. Is getting up a 4am the secret to a productive life or a red carpet for invading organisms?
11. In all seriousness, comedians Bill Hader and John Mulaney talk about their struggles with anxiety and how they handle it.
12. Happy or meaningful? Which would you choose?